Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Marly's Journey

Her first day home.


I will try to make this as short as possible, but there is alot to mention about our little GCC Marly.

Marly is a 2 year old, DNA sexed female Yellow Sided Green Cheek Parrot.

We purchased Marly from another owner on June 1st, 2008. Her previous owner told us that his wife was making him sell her. She was very nippy and bit me often. I assume that is why his wife made him sell her.

I have to admit, I had no clue about parrots when we got PJ & Marly. I new about Zebra Finches because I had them growing up. But parrots??? OH MY!!! I had no idea there was so much to know!

The first thing we did wrong as a parront was not quarentine them when we brought them home. We were EXTREMELY lucky that both birds are healthy!

Marly has come a long way since we brought her home. She used to bite me ALL the time and now she will come cuddle with me and be a loving little birdie. Hubby can do just about anything with her.

Her & PJ didn't get along at first, but soon became the bestest buds. Aren't they adorable together?


Marly is pretty social and will go to just about anyone. She may nip you but unless you make her mad, shouldn't bite you. (I make her mad all the time.. LOL (joking)

Marly has a couple nicknames. Poops-A-Lot (she goes more often than every 15 minutes!), Daddy's Lil' Stalker (because if he is home and she is out of her cage, she has to be with him.)

Marly is doing great at learning new things. We are working on "Marly Come" (comes to us), "Marly Cage"(flies back to her cage), Stay (so hubby can get a breather), Perch (she will go to the perch on top of her cage), and Hubby is working on a few others.

She says quite a few things and of course we are working on more. She says: Gimme Kiss, What's Up, Be Good, Be Nice, YOU Be Nice, Gimme Kisses, Kiss, and a few others that I can't remember at the moment and a few that I haven't been able to make out yet. She is quite the talker, especially when she talks to herself.

She likes to say be nice, then bite you, or beat up her toys. She has no problems trying new foods and toys. She even tolerates our Aussie Shiann alot of times, but when Shiann gets on her nerves, she lets her know.

Here is a picture of her being a little love bug with her daddy. She now demands this from daddy and me when daddy isn't around. She cuddles in the palm of your hand, perches on your pinky finger while you scritch her head with your thumb.



That is all that I can think of to tell you about Marly, although I am pretty sure there is tons more to tell. She's a little ham!

No comments:

Post a Comment